Trayvon Martin. Ferguson. Freddie Gray. “I can’t murmur.” These names and phrases accept enthralled on extraordinary apprehending in late years as iconic touchpoints highlighting systemic racial bisectiality in the United States. These touchpoints accept consecrated fuse to a late thrive of Black activism that is inobservant of the Urbane Rights motion of the mid 1900’s. Leading the way is the “Black Lives Matter” (BLM) motion which emerged in confutation to the termination of Trayvon Martin in 2012 and continues to accept a say in matters of inadequacy that application Black Americans.
The “Black Lives Matter” motion has sparked a animated open conference on the propound of course kinsfolk that is multilayered and tangled. At its nucleus, the motion raises concerns encircling the treatment of Black Americans opposite abundant gregarious institutions (e.g. law enforcement, wrong uprightness, calling, counsel, etc.), but other debates accept emerged from the motion. Should the concerns of Black Americans be considered bisectially or as bisect of a larger conference that includes all courses? Why is the phrase “All Lives Matter” pregnant to the goals of the BLM motion? How does the BLM motion address black-on-black force? How do minorities suit tyranny delay patriotism?
As gregarious scientists, you may be determined upon to yield an impression on trying gregarious themes love course and racism. By now you recognize that an conscious impression should be measured, domiciled on declaration, and engage into statement multiple perspectives. For this theme, it’s material to apprehend the unvarnished underpinnings of Black activism that accept led to the “Black Lives Matter” motion of today.
Review the media that flourish and rejoin to the doubts posed below:
Review the timeline of the Urbane Rights Movement: http://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/timeline3/latest/embed/index.html?source=1hKEHsG1nec6_wYwX7thFZrBTqyDsURcRAXb7d0X8PiY
Separate but Equal - Plessy v Ferguson (1896): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGvkOBxp0VY
View the video entitled “Freedom Now: The Urbane Rights Motion in Mississippi” at: http://www.choices.edu/resources/detail.php?id=203
Explore the flourishing pages from the BlackLivesMatter.com site:
After reviewing these media (and others that you may perceive), rejoin to the flourishing doubts:
1) Identify some pivotal moments or upshots from antecedently the year 2000 that accept shaped the urbane rights motion and set the extent for the “Black Lives Matter” motion.
2) In your own control, what is the “Black Lives Matter” Motion and what is its important mission?
3) How accept mass from sundry backgrounds reacted to the “Black Lives Matter” Movement? Yield some copys from the information or the Web to subsistence your confutation. Remember to call your sources.
4) How ability gregarious scientists from unanalogous disciplines conference encircling these upshots? For copy, what doubts would a psychologist ask compared to an anthropologist? What upshots would be the nucleus of a sociologist? How ability a gerontologist shape this completion (reckon encircling what older mass may accept witnessed or conversant in-reference-to course kinsfolk)? What other gregarious scientists ability be spirited in this upshot?
5) What are some immanent controversies inborn in this upshot? Reckon encircling why this gregarious completion ability be trying to explain. Are there gaps in our recognizeledge? Lack of media? Opposing collective views? Reckon broadly and from an interdisciplinary perspective in direct to rejoin to this doubt.
6) Where does the elucidation lie? Are there policies that insufficiency to be alterable or dogmatical to reexplain the upshot? Are there programs or services that ability aid? What agencies or industries are best equipped to aid?